Starting and finishing at the Fleur de Lys in Widdington, eight Windmillers set off at 9.30am on a 38 mile clockwise circuit through very peaceful Essex and Hertfordshire Lanes:
Those pedalling were Squadron Leader Maurice, Deputy Dawg Andrew, John B, Wee Jimny Ken, Hot Rod, Half scone Keith, Vernon and the Right Reverend Holy Moley Martin. The first stop was at The Three Horseshoes in Farnham but only to admire the landlord’s handsome 1928 Ford Model A truck on the forecourt in the livery of a Stockton-on-Tees haulier, F & F Robinson, with whom Vernon was very familiar. Such is the knowledge of your average Windmiller!
Then it was through the Hadhams and westwards to Barwick Ford where Maurice’s grandfather used to fill up the tender of his traction engine from the River Rib, near to which there also used to be several gunpowder factories, one of which was owned by a German family before the first world war. (Faulty explosives and shells were commonplace during the war which makes us wonder why?) By this time caffeine was needed and a warm welcome was received in Puckeridge by the owner of the Something Lovely Tea Room:
The homeward stretch was a speedy downwind route through Braughing, Furneaux Pelham, Berden and Rickling Green before the final ascent to the Fleur de Lys where the knights enjoyed an excellent lunch at their round table:
Brexit having been thoroughly discussed at Something Lovely, the conversation turned to the more agreeable topic of beer.
Thanks once again to Maurice for planning the ride and to his Deputy Dawg Andrew.